Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Gift No. 3 Marta Pelrine-Bacon ''My mom had this dream, but she gave it up'' - That Gets Me Back To Work


Marta Pelrine-Bacon is a writer and artist working in Austin. Her unique art involves cutting up the rough drafts of her novels and making pictures with the slices. The pictures capture the mood of the novels though not the actual scenes. Anyone who buys a picture gets a chapter password and can take the password to the novel website (www.mylakebelle.com)and use it to read the chapter the artwork is from.


'I have a short piece of wisdom...though maybe it is just wisdom to me. It is why I keep writing and making art even when it feels like I'm not getting anywhere. I imagine my son, 20 years from now, telling his friends, "My mom had this dream, but she gave it up." That gets me back to work. I'd much rather him say, "My mom has this crazy dream. She just keeps trying!" Maybe he will shake his head and roll his eyes. But that is okay.

I may not be remembered as an artist of great fine art. That's okay. But I refuse to be remembered as someone who let her dream go and watched more TV.

Is that a gift? Is this the best way to give?'

2 comments:

  1. Do you combine writing and art together? How do you negotiate the two mediums? What advice do you have for writers and artists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post! Seeing my work elsewhere never fails to surprise me.

    As for me, I don't know how I negotiate the two medium. Sometimes I feel like I have to choose one over the other. Kind of like parenting--I can pay great attention to my child or to my art, but I can't do both. But other days everything works together. My main bit of advice (though I'm never sure I really want to give advice) is don't make excuses not to try or show up to the page. If you want to write or make art, then sit down and do it.

    I'm sure something like Lost is a great tv show, but would I rather know a tv plot or have a finished novel? Time will pass no matter what you do. Sit down and make something!

    ReplyDelete